How To Build Monkey Bars For Backyard Play (DIY Steps w/ Videos)
Do you like making things for your whole family to enjoy?
Are you a fan of challenging DIY projects that have a great payoff?
Do you want to build something your little ones can enjoy playing with for years to come?
If you’re searching for a great DIY project to work on that’s sure to make your kids happy when you’re done, you may need to learn how to build monkey bars for backyard use. Building monkey bars can be a very difficult DIY project, but it’s a fun one that will make you feel very accomplished when you’re finished with it, too.
In this article, we’ll teach you everything you need to know to build your own monkey bars. You’ll learn about the materials you’ll need to complete the job as well as the equipment you’ll want to have on hand before you get started. We’ll walk you through each step of the process and help you learn about the work that will go into this exciting project.
By the time you finish reading, you’ll be ready to grab your materials and start building right away!
Check out this list below to help you figure out which materials you need to stock up on before you get started. When choosing the type of wood to use for your project, make sure you select pressure-treated pine whenever possible. This will make sure you have access to quality wood that won’t become quickly damaged by exposure to the elements. However, it’s always a good idea to sand and stain the wood before you use it even so, to prevent injury to your kids and to extend the life of the monkey bars, too.
One set of metal monkey bars and hardware. While you can certainly make the bars yourself and purchase the hardware separately, buying a kit can save you a lot of time and ensure that your kids are playing on something a little bit safer overall, too.
Below is a list of the tools and equipment you’ll need to have on hand to get this job done. While you may be able to get away with doing this without power tools, it will take a lot longer to do it all by hand and it may be less safe overall when the project is completed. If at all possible, it’s a good idea to use power tools to complete this job. If you don’t own any power tools, you may be able to borrow some from a friend or family member, or you can usually rent them from hardware stores for less cost than it would take to buy them outright.
Follow these quick and easy steps to create the perfect monkey bars for your kids. Although there are many different ways you can get this job done, this is one of the most affordable and easy-to-complete options out there. Don’t forget, however, that monkey bars are very easy to customize to your kids’ specific needs and wants, so don’t be afraid to play around with the design a little bit. As long as you focus on the safety precautions, the rest is really up to you and your kids!
- 1Lay out the boards where they’ll be going in your yard and mark where to dig the holes for the support beams. You should dig about two feet deep for these posts.
- 2Put the posts in place and secure them temporarily with rocks or some other form of support. Double-check that the posts are level using your level.
- 3Mix your concrete and pour it into each hole around the posts to fill the holes and secure the posts into place. Allow them to at least partially set into place before continuing.
- 4Cut a 2x4 into short blocks and screw them into the tops of the support beams to give the horizontal beam something to anchor to.
- 5Screw one of the two 2x6x12 boards into place horizontally across the top of the monkey bars. Use your C-clamp if needed to hold the boards together while you screw them into place with the power drill.
- 6Add lag bolts to both sides of the horizontal beam.
- 7Repeat steps 5 and 6 to create the other side of the monkey bars.
- 8Measure the distance between two support beams on the short side to determine the length you’ll need for your steps. Cut the 2x4s into the right lengths to create steps.
- 9Screw the steps into place using the power drill. Make sure they are level using your level.
- 10Install the hardware that came with the monkey bars set you have purchased. The kit should tell you the distance to space out each of the bars depending on the age and abilities of your kids. Older kids can have wider spaces between their monkey bars than younger kids can.
- 11Finish attaching the monkey bars by following the kit instructions.
- 12If you choose to, this would be a good time to sand everything and paint or seal it. This is a good idea to help keep the monkey bars looking great and functioning safely even after a lot of weather exposure.
- 13Finally, test the monkey bars yourself before letting your kids play on them.
So have you figured out your plans to make the perfect monkey bars for your little ones? It can take some time to figure out the right plans to suit your needs, but don’t forget to think of some other fun additions you could add to the monkey bars to make them even more exciting for your kids, too. If you have kids of different ages in your family, you may want to make two different sets of monkey bars—one for each size of kid in the house. You might also want to think about buying or building other playground equipment for your kids to enjoy along with the monkey bars you construct for them.
No matter how you plan to put together your new DIY backyard, your kids are sure to enjoy playing on the items you’ve put together for them. Just remember to double-check the safety of your homemade playground equipment frequently and keep up with regular maintenance. This will ensure that your little ones can stay safe and happy when enjoying the toys you’ve built for them. And don’t forget to make any repairs as soon as you notice anything that might be wrong with your playground creations, too.